In short, it’s a trend that’s gained popularity over the past year and it involves finishing up your skincare routine in the evening by applying a thin layer of Vaseline or other occlusive product.
The premise behind slugging is that applying this occlusive layer at the end of your routine will help lock in moisture and help repair the skin’s natural moisture barrier. We asked our Estheticians what they thought of this trend:
Slugging is okay if you have incredibly dry or mature skin but, a few things to note:
- This is best for an extra boost of moisture during the cold winter month
- We don't recommend doing this nightly as it could eventually lead to some clogged pores so stick with just two to three nights per week
Another method of including an occlusive product at the end of your skincare routine and one that our Estheticians find much more beneficial is to use a facial oil. Facial oils are also occlusive, meaning they have a large molecular weight and can lock in the moisture as well as help lock in the benefits of serums. They also contain other great ingredients to help address specific skin concerns.
1. For oily or acne prone skin we recommend the Herbivore Lapis Oil
2. For acne prone, hyperpigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles try the REN Bio Retinoid Anti-Wrinkle Concentrate Oil
3. For sensitive, dry and dull skin try the Sunday Riley Juno Antioxidant + Superfood Face Oil